Friday, March 8, 2013

3/8/2013

Well, today's smoothie was just plain nasty and I will NOT be adding it to my smoothie recipes.  Warning to all those who are new at making green smoothies -- certain greens can only be masked by stronger fruit flavors such as pineapple or mango -- and the green I added today was one of them!  Turnip greens are really good for you but are quite bitter.  According to the Live Strong website, one cup of turnip greens has 1.2 g of protein, 4.4 g of carbs, 3.5 g of dietary fiber, 27 mg of Vitamin C, 118 mcg of folate, 203 mg of potassium, and 137 mg of calcium with only 20 calories. 
(Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/40545-turnip-green-nutrition-information/#ixzz2MyJOEmGa)

BUT, they are bitter!  Today, I tried 1 cup strawberries, 1 cup blueberries, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 cup spinach, 1 cup turnip greens, with water and ice.  YUCK!  Ok, so just like in recovery, I live and learn!  I don't think I will be doing this one again and, note to self, when using turnip greens be sure to have some pineapple or mango on hand!

Hope you all have a wonderful day -- keep it clean, eat some green, and practice being serene!

Love ya,
Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Please give me a good recipe for a pickles, capers, and tuna water smoothie.

    ReplyDelete